»

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Watching Martha Stewart

Okay, I admit it. I have never been a fan of Martha Stewart. I have always felt she was arrogant and bossy. Now, that was totally out of line for me to think or feel that way, because I do not know her. I have never watched her full programs, read her books, or met her in person. I did hear interviews stating that and we know they are always truthful! {Smile here} In short, I was being prejudiced and bigoted by those feelings.

Confession is now over.

I did not watch Martha’s TV show, even though she could tell me sixteen things I could do with a pine cone to liven up my living room. I am not a fan of TV remodeling and make over shows in general, unless I am learning something I could do when I get my lazy rear end off the sofa get to work on my own home.

I did pay a bit of attention to Martha’s trial, however. I laughed at David Letterman’s jokes. But somehow, something did not seem right. Why was she made such an example? Why was she was treated like Enron and WorldCom when her misdeeds were far less severe? I know very little about the situation in actuality. (If all you or I know is what you get from the media on any story, you know very little.) But from what I have been able to tell, she got a raw deal. Feel free to post comments telling me I am crazy, but I simply have not seen the grandiose crime she was supposed to have committed. Granted, I am not a financial analyst, but I do know some things, and this one just does not add up.

Consequently, I have been watching her behavior very intently since she flew the coup and was granted her limited measure of freedom. You know what I have noticed? Very little. Martha has been amazingly silent. This is not an attack. These are actually words of admiration.

How many folks have we seen released from prison who when released cannot stay out from in front of a microphone? How many use the media to campaign for their innocence. As best I can tell, Martha has done none of that. Since her release she has accepted her fate and seems to be making the best of it.

Herein is a lesson for us all. My two year old grandson is learning to whine, but he is two!! How many of us whine and complain about our fate in life rather than just accepting it and going about trying to make the best of it or improving it?

I for one, plead guilty. Oh, I am not guilty all the time. I am not guilty most of the time. But I most certainly have been guilty of the whining crime some of the time, and I did not even have a camera to perform for or a cause to champion innocence on.

Martha has a new fan. But I still will not be working on those pine cones!

0 comments: