»

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Finding Your Purpose - Introduction

One question that I am often asked relates to finding one's purpose or "mission" in life. This is a question that I have wrestled with personally in the past. As I have done this, it has come in the form of two steps. In my next two blogs I intend to share some of that process with you.

The first is a periodic review of what is transpiring in my life at present. I will begin by sharing some questions I have asked myself during personal reflection. These have proven very helpful when I am losing my center, drifting from my direction, doubting my gifts, closing in on burnout, been taking a few too many hits, or just plain feeling lousy. (Actually I feel one of those times coming on pretty strongly right about now!)

The second post is of a much larger scale. In this phase I have attempted to do some deep evaluation of myself and my life direction. It addresses questions that lead to potentially drafting a personal mission statement. This is something that should not occur as frequently as the first phase. This is a once a decade (or at least over a wider expanse of time) experience.

If you are in either of those two places I hope the next couple of blogs prove helpful. I will offer an introduction to each where I will share some of my own insights before each set of questions. However, this is an extremely personal process. There is no set formula that works. What works for me may not necessarily work for you. What proves valuable to you may be less than valuable for me. That is okay. Let the Spirit of God guide you. Before each section pray and earnestly ask God for direction and blessing on the process.

If you do indeed attempt this, I encourage you to write it out. My computer was and is one of my best friends during this. Something very "magical" takes place when you take the time to allow thoughts to leave your mind, cross into your fingers and be formulated into written visible images. Do not short circuit the process by saying, "I do not need to write anything down." Especially when it comes to the second part, yes . . . you do need to write it down. Remember it is a process not an event.

Here is a promise I will make to you. No matter where it ends, you will know yourself and your God a little better.

0 comments: