»

Monday, April 25, 2005

Finding Your Purpose - Part 2: Life Purpose Questions

A couple of years back, I was granted a sabbatical by my former church. It was a time of study and refreshment. I used that time for many endeavors. One of them still bears fruit today. I spent time writing my Life Mission Statement or Life Purpose Statement. Over the years I have had numerous folks quiz me about that process. In short it involved a lot of introspective work on myself.

At that time I had just finished reading the book Half Time: From Success to Significance by Bob Buford. In it the author addresses some of these sort of issues.

I felt that I owed it to myself to spend some time evaluating exactly why I was here and what I should be about. The end result was a statement that has proven very valuable in some aspects and a waste of time in some others. It was worth all the effort, no matter what the usage today.

In yesterday's blog I spent some time talking about the short term evaluation when you are "tanking." This is not about that at all. This one is about the long view. It is about asking the big picture questions regarding your life.

For my case, it involved a series of questions that I spent time tearing apart and honestly answering. Those questions are below. They are not magical. They are a combination of many sources. I was influenced by Buford's book. But influence also came from numerous other sources as well as some questions that I just knew should be on the list, so I wrote them myself.

You have them below in raw form. I pray that you may be able to take these questions and do some reflective thinking to assist yourself in determining the direction for the remainder of your life. Some may see the need for a change; others may see things are okay as they presently are. Either is okay.

Remember, there are no right or wrong answers. It is your honest answering of the questions that will enable you to look into your soul.

A word of warning: Do not expect this to be done in an evening. I worked for days. Most folks I talk to who have used these, gave a similar report. Invest the time. Do the work. The dividends are worth the effort. After answering the questions, perhaps you will be led to write a full Life Mission Statement. If not, that is fine. It you choose to not take that step, you will still be blessed by this preparatory work.

Life Purpose Preparation Questions

Ground Rules for Answering Questions:

* I will answer with total honesty.
* I will answer in a manner that is intended only for me and the Lord. I will not write in a fashion that implies someone else may read it.
* I will not answer fearing I may sound as if I have too high of an opinion of myself or seeking to sound humble. This could limit me from gaining a fair grasp of my gifts.
* I will remember that everything I have achieved comes as a result of God's blessing. It is not a result of anything in me alone.


1. What are my passions?
2. What have I achieved?
3. What has God blessed in my life?
4. What have I done uncommonly well? (This is an honest evaluation of the things God has blessed in my life.)
5. How am I wired? (Personality type, Leadership style, etc.)
6. Where do I belong? (Groups, organizations, or acquaintances, structured and unstructured.)
7. Which of those places of belonging do I enjoy?
8. What gives me joy?
9. Who am I? (I may use only nouns in my answer.)
10. What spiritual gifts has God given me that have been perfected over time?
11. What do I want to be doing in ten years?
12. What do I want to be doing in twenty years?
13. What do I want to be doing in thirty years?
14. Where am I weak?
15. What part of my current work do I relish?
16. What part of my current work do I dread?
17. What energizes me?
18. What drains me?
19. What about my current ministry/job makes me feel trapped?
20. What are the "shoulds" that have trailed me in my life?
21. How do my past successes fit into the future?
22. How do my past failures fit into my future?
23. What would I list as my life's goals? How have they changed over the years?
24. What things am I committed to?
25. What people am I committed to in a fashion that transcends this process?
26. What is going on inside of me when I say or feel: I cannot keep on living like this?
27. When do I feel "out of control?"
28. How does what I do or desire fit into the "big picture?" (i.e., The Kingdom of God)
29. What subjects would I like to study, not for a degree, but to improve myself?
30. Am I missing anything in my life that is important to me?
31. What am I willing to die for?
32. What realistic changes can I make?
33. Where is it that I feel God is leading me?
34. How do I wish to be remembered?
35. If married, how does being a good husband/wife influence this process?
36. If a parent, how does being a good father/mother and mentoring your children play into this process?

0 comments: