»

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

My Journey With Cancer - Part 5

December 11, 2017 – Surgery Date Selection

So, why did I put off such a needed and serious surgery for a month? I could say, “It is complicated.” And I would be right. It is indeed multi-faceted.

At my initial meeting with the surgeon he said to me, “So I guess this is your busiest time of the year?” “Yes,” I replied, “There is a lot going on in both churches and the other business. A lot of folks depend upon me. Even though any of us are replaceable, I was hoping I could hold off on surgery until after the holiday, and perhaps after the first of the year.”

His reply was, “This tumor has been growing inside of you for years. Three more weeks will not make that much of a difference.”

And so it was, when we met the scheduler we chose January 9, 2018.

There is another side to this. A week ago, prior to meeting the surgeon I was at breakfast with a friend of mine who was telling me I need to let all of the church and ministry stuff go and take care of myself. My reply to him was, “I have been serving and helping people since I was 15. That is closing in on 50 years of ministry. I’m telling you, that switch does not exist inside of me. I cannot turn it off. The best I can do is to learn to manage it.”

I have now 3+ weeks to get things in order. I am scheduling 8-weeks of supply preachers at my churches, and getting some serious and major issues in line at the non-profit. If I get some of these things completed and in order, I will be able to disengage during the surgery and recovery, trust the good staff I have, and focus on my healing. I will not be able to turn it off, but I will be more able to cut back and relax while others do their part.


“Know thyself.” Someone said that once.

0 comments: