»

Monday, December 11, 2017

My Journey With Cancer - Part 4

December 11, 2017 – First Surgeon Visit

Today was a big day. January 9, 2018 will be D-Day.

This morning Kay and I had the first visit with my surgeon. It will not be my last. We learned quite a bit today. Some of it left us a bit off kilter. Some of it was just what we anticipated.
The surgeon who will perform my surgery was a great find. I became connected to him through a friend. He is older and seasoned. He has seen this exact type of cancer countless times. He spoke honestly and with clarity. He did not cut any corners but clearly laid out – even drawing on paper – exactly what would happen and what we can anticipate. It is not a pretty picture. However it is not as bleak as it could be.

In 2010 when my wife was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer, we learned that not all breast cancers are created equal. Today we learned that not all Pancreatic Cancers are either.
We learned today that less than 20% of pancreatic cancer patients are able to have my surgery. Most of them simply have the difficult conversation that it is inoperable. That is not the case with me. But when you learn what all is involved, you may think it is! J Actually, we just had a “different difficult discussion.”  I am in the 20% that can have surgery it appears, so this shows that God was gracious.
Kay and I entered the room thinking that perhaps the tumor was sitting on the head of the pancreas. We learned that the last test showed that not to be the case. It actually was in the pancreas itself. That changes everything, and is not good news. While we had hopes the tumor could simply be removed from the pancreas, it will require something much more invasive.

My surgical procedure goes by the name of the Whipple Method, named for the MD who pioneered it. My entire digestive tract is about to be altered. I would not advise looking it up. Just sayin’ . . .
The surgery will begin with the implanting of a port in my upper spine that will be used for the next 5-days to release pain medications. Following that I will be sedated and they will begin with a laparoscopic procedure to look around inside my abdomen and assure themselves that the cancer has indeed not spread. If they find it has, they will close me up and forego the procedure. There would be no reason to attempt the surgery if that is the case.

If all is clear, I will have an incision that will run from the last rib on the left side of my body to the last rib on the right side of my body. That is about 10 – 12 inches in length. Kay told me that my bikini days are now over! I will have one hellacious scar to show off though!
Once inside me they will remove the front half of my pancreas, the lower tenth of my stomach, my gall bladder, all duct work that connects them to my small intestine, and the upper part of my small intestine called the duodenum. All this time they must avoid two major arteries that run though the center of the body.  This part of the surgery will take 3 – 4 hours.

The second half of the surgery will require moving part of the remaining lower intestine upward and then attaching the liver, the remaining stomach, and the remaining pancreas directly to this portion of the small intestine. There are many enzyme producing glands that must have their tubes connected so things can function. This is another 3 – 4 hour procedure. It is all quite involved and fraught with possibilities for complications.

Following the 6 – 8 hour surgery I will be in intensive care for a couple of days, depending upon how my body responds. I will be hospitalized for 7 – 21 days, again depending on how my body responds and accepts the new attachments. The type of tissue the various organs are made off will determine how well that goes. Evidently, each person’s body has different “textures” in their organs. Who knew?

If the body heals as anticipated and I avoid infection I will be discharged home. I will be out of commission for close to two months I am told. It will be longer than that before my stamina returns. It is amazing how quickly your body loses its stamina following surgery. I will learn patience.

If all goes well with the recovery, I will follow this up with 4 – 6 months of chemotherapy to extricate any remaining microscopic cancer cells. Losing what hair I have left is no fun prospect. Losing my beard is even less so. My chin has not seen sunshine since 1988. I will be one more ugly cancer specimen!

I started this post with an analogy. I called today a big day, and January 9th as D-Day. That was intentional. D-Day, or the Normandy Invasion, was the beginning of the Allies onslaught to defeat the Third Reich and the German army. It was bloody. It was gruesome. It was painful. It carried a tremendous loss of life. It was well thought out and planned. It was followed by the campaign that ultimately defeated the Axis powers, and led to victory. For me, January 9, 2018 will be that same event. It will be bloody, painful, and gruesome. (Hopefully there will be no loss of life!) Our plans are that it will begin the campaign that will defeat cancer in our family for a second time.

What are the odds that a husband and a wife would both have cancer (albeit completely different types,) undergo surgery, chemotherapy and (planned for me anyway) recovery? I guess it’s too late to purchase that lottery ticket, huh?

Friends, God is good – ALL the time!


Next post I will explain a bit how we chose our surgery date. Stay tuned.

0 comments: