»

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Me and My Big Mouth

Well, I did it again. I opened my mouth and got myself into trouble. Don’t you just hate it when you say something and someone actually believes you mean it? Don’t you especially hate it when that person is God? Well, you must be a better person than me, ‘cause it sure ticks me off! I mean come on, I am just talking. I run my mouth a lot. In MBTI terminology, I am an “E,” I have to talk! Who thought anyone was actually listening . . . especially God?

Okay, I am being a bit facetious here. I did know folks were listening. I wanted them to listen. I planned it so they would. I even knew God would be doing the same thing. And I knew that He knew I was serious.

So what was I talking about, and what did God know I was serious about?

Coaching soccer. Yes, you read that right. Coaching soccer. I can just hear the clicks on hundred of mouse pads as ‘Net surfers navigate away from this idiot’s web page . . . and fast! But hear me out. This is a lesson in believing in what you talk about.

It goes back a while, at least to 1995. That is when I started down the path that led me to start thinking about what it means for a church to be a “missional church.” (To read more about that, check out my blog entitled “There is no spoon” in February.)

As I thought about my present church and how I should be missionally minded in our locality, I got the idea that I could volunteer to be an assistant coach of a local youth soccer team as a way of being in the community and giving something back. I really believed that and said so in a message to my congregation.

God was listening, and so were some other folks. Yesterday I received a phone call whereby I was asked to coach a team of 8-9 year old girls. Actually, that is the exact age and gender that I had originally hoped to coach. They are at the age where it is fun, and girls are just less cut throat. I was a bit apprehensive because there really is no head coach. I am listed as such, but I have three other folks who will be working equally hard with me.

This is a bit daunting to me. I have served as an assistant coach before, but it was when my son was this age, and I was the assistant on his team. My son is 24 now! Get the picture. These girls may very well know more than me!

As I have thought about this over the last day, I am getting more and more excited about it. I get to have fun coaching some girls. I will be able to get to know their parents. And I will be showing that being a pastor is not the same as having my head where there is no sunshine and not caring about the community around me. It is a chance to give something with no ulterior motive.

What are you giving to your community? I am not asking you to coach soccer. I am not asking you to coach anything. I am asking you how are you involved in your community? My daughter and son-in-law serve an urban church. When they are involved in their community it looks totally different from me being involved in mine. But they are involved. Is that not what Jesus wants us to do?

In a few days or so, I am going to write about the Christian Ghetto. I will be talking about how many churches and Christians are so busy isolating themselves from their world that they have little or no connection with what is taking place around them. Where this ends up is yet to be determined, but I intend to be sure I am not sitting by taking pot shots at my community. I intend to continue to be involved.

This is going to be fun. I just need to be sure and not pick up a yellow card.

0 comments: