»

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Making Lemonade

Call it Independence Day, call it the Fourth of July, call it whatever you wish. But one fact holds true: Few holidays are as nationally unifying to Americans as the Fourth of July. We ring bells, shoot fireworks, hold celebrations, and have parades.

But everything doesn't always go off as planned. That was the case for me a few years back.

In the early 1990’s my family was planning on going to a local park with some friends from a former church. A major glitch developed at the last minute which we were unable to control; consequently we were not able to go. We decided to go to dinner instead. But by the time all of the particulars had cleared up it was going on 7:30. It was a Friday evening, and you know what restaurants are like on Friday evenings at 7:30.

We visited two or three restaurants before finally deciding that a wait was inevitable. Our decision was that if we must wait it would be in a new restaurant which had been given high ratings by our friends. With our two daughters visiting friends, my wife Kay, my son Richard and I began our vigil to await a seat. Almost an hour later we were seated, and it was great. This restaurant was very nice and we had a seat near a TV so Richard and I could watch the Braves whip the Cubs.

Everything was fine except for the slight problem with the iced tea. During my second or third refill, she dropped the glass on the table, and partially into my awaiting lap. The look on that poor girl's face spoke volumes. You could tell she was not having a good day anyway. She was extremely apologetic, but it was too late. The liquid flowed very rapidly across the table. I comforted her by my response, which was to simply state that we are all human and it was all right. I reinforced that by a nice tip at the end of the meal.

We left the restaurant and decided to go shop for a few moments at a nearby store. Strangely enough, the parking lot was nearly full at 9:00 pm. It was then that Kay remembered that there was going to be a fireworks display across the street. We decided on a longer shopping spree, one that would last until the fireworks, an hour later.

As we sat on the hood of our car watching the fireworks, we listened to patriotic music being broadcast by a local radio station. Every radio was tuned to that station, so it was not difficult.

One of the last songs played was God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood. As I sat listening to that song and enjoying the fireworks, I could not help but think: “How blessed I am.”

My thoughts then moved to the events of the evening leading up to this moment. Almost nothing had gone right. I am not bragging when I say I had made a conscious decision to not let it bother me. I could have you know. The entire evening was going to go based upon my responses to the events as they occurred. I was the one that would determine whether or not Kay and Richard had a nice evening. For me to have responded with outbursts of anger would not change anything anyway. I would make the most of what was available.

Most things do not readily bother me. If something little seems to set me off you can mark it down; there is something far deeper taking place that you cannot see, and usually I do not share what it is with anyone.

I have LEARNED to roll with most punches – not all mind you, but most. I believe author Jan Silvious would call this “making lemonade.” Taking the things that seem bad and making them as good as possible.

Where are your lemons coming from? We all get a bushel basket of them now and then. The question you must ask yourself is: What are you doing with your lemons? Making sour faces, or making lemonade? The choice is yours.

“You don't know what it's like for me!” may be your response.

You're right, I don't. But I do know that it is not more than you can bear. You want proof? Try this, 1 Corinthians 10:13: “God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

Something very interesting arises in that passage. God provides a way out, but He intends for you to remain in the pressure. He doesn't want you to seek the way out to escape. He wants you to use the way out to gain comfort that He has not abandoned you. And having gained that comfort, endure what James would call “the trial.” Notice how the verse began: “God is faithful.” He hasn't forgotten you. It is your flesh that says He has.

In Jan's terms, God wants you to use His faithfulness to assist in “making lemonade.” I know it isn't easy. The Father never promised ease. What he did promise was His presence and guidance IN the trial.

You may feel like your home is in a lemon grove. No matter. Cut some sugar cane, pull some water from the well and make lemonade. If you allow yourself to do this, it may be the best tasting lemonade you've ever had.

0 comments: