»

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Axiom #5: Look for "God Moments"

The past week has been pretty hectic. In addition to returning from a conference to find appointments scheduled for me, and a fall planning schedule looming ahead, my oldest daughter and son-in-law sold their home and purchased another one. That required a lot of work for them, and I have wanted to assist as much as I could, so I gave them the better part of three days. I loved being able to help and wish to do more. It reminded me, however, of some times when one of my primary Axioms came into play. “Always be looking for God moments.”

The house they just sold has some great memories for me. Not nearly as many as for them of course, but a quite a few family events happened in that house. On two occasions I was leaving a meeting in their area when I knew my oldest daughter Alyssa was at home alone. If I remember correctly, both times her husband, John was out of town or maybe even out of the country. As I left my meeting that started at 8:00 am and ended at 11:00 am, I got the idea to call Alyssa and see if they would like to have lunch. It was nothing fancy, just fast food as I recall. I picked it up took it to them, and we sat at their bar and ate lunch together. On both occasions, I was so very aware that my daughter and my two grandchildren (ages 3 and 1) were so glad to see me. It was a surprise visit, and the kids were almost giddy showing me this and that, enjoying the food. Alyssa herself seemed genuinely pleased at the “adult break” in her toddler dominated day. I stayed a little less than an hour, gave them all a big hug and kiss and went on my way. On a third such occasion, while John was in Mexico on a mission endeavor, I took my mower over and mowed their lawn. She told me not to, but when I left, I knew I had done the right thing.

Each times as I drove away, I was so very keenly aware that this did not just happen. God had been directing my steps. I not only needed to see them, they needed to see me. It was clear from the time I called until the time I drove away.

In life, in ministry in general, and in leadership specifically, I have learned to be very sensitive to these “God moments.” These events you cannot anticipate; you cannot plan for; but they are clearly the REAL plans for the day. This sort of fits into my “following your gut,” but it is different. It is more than watching for events as they unfold, this is watching where God is directing and making these events happen.

Over a decade ago, I was in my office at a former ministry location with a heavy day of administrative work staring at me. Somewhere mid afternoon the receptionist called me to say, “Terry, there is a John Doe here to see you. He says it is urgent.” Now, in all honesty, I thought to myself, “NO!!! Not today. I am so behind!” But instead I said, “I will be right out.”

I will not tell you how I knew him, but we had a passing acquaintance and I knew he had just experienced a semi-traumatic event in his life. John Doe and I walked back to my office, closed the door and sat down. After a few pleasantries he looked at me and said something to this effect, “Terry, what is all this talk about trusting Jesus? Can you tell me about how this faith stuff works?”

Now . . . I am no rocket scientist, but even I could hear God screaming with the full fervor of lungs of Deity saying, “Hey Terry, THIS is your event for the day, not those papers on your desk.”

Events are not usually that dramatic for me, or for you I will wager, but you know what? They are there. When you are planning leadership events, or your days activities or team meetings or whatever . . . always leave room in the back of your mind for the God moments. It may just be what was supposed to happen in the first place.

0 comments: