»

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Axiom #1: "Don't do it because you have to . . ."

This first Axiom, comes from my discussions with a former ministry colleague Marlaena Cochran. Since this first axiom came out of a meeting with Marlaena, I want to give her credit.

She was talking to me regarding a ministry decision she was needing to make. The exact particulars of that decision elude me just now, but I am sure she could tell you what they were. I do recall this, however. She mentioned to me, "Terry, I think I have to do this." I said in response, "Do not do it because you have to. Do it because you cannot not do it."

I am not really sure where that came from, except from my previous life experience.

Think with me a bit about that statement. There are many things that we feel we "have" to do. But as the NFL referees often say, "Upon further review . . ." We really do not have to do it. I think it is true that we can convince ourselves there is something in a leadership setting that must be taken care of by us when in reality it is our desire leading us.

When I said "Do it because you cannot not do it," I think I am getting at something a bit more serious. I think this is the "next level." This is more than feeling you have to do it, it is not being able to talk yourself out of it. It is like a grinding in your spirit, or sandpaper in your soul. It will not go away.

A few years back I was struggling with a major ministry decision. I tried every way I could to find a way out. It was a difficult struggle. I recall pursuing every angle possible with this. It finally became clear to me what I was going to do, when I realized I simply could not not do it.

Let me be clear. I am not talking about things that are wrong or abusive or out of line in any respect. I am talking about leadership or ministry decisions that gnaw at your gut. It may be a move in ministry. It may be an alteration in methodology. It could be a personnel move. Whatever the issue is, there simply is no way you cannot follow through.

You do not "have to." You "cannot not do it."

0 comments: