»

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Axiom #2: Don't Ignore Your Gut

In 1993 I began my doctoral studies. One of the first classes I had to take was two full days of psychological evaluation. We did private stuff, group stuff, and small group stuff. You name it. We did it. I took the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (which looks for deviation), and who knows how many other inventories in preparation for that class. The goal was to determine if we were emotionally stable enough for that terminal degree. I passed, just in case you are wondering.

That class gave me my first extensive exposure to the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator. Since then I have taken it at least twice more. While certain traits have shifted in strength, etc. due to life situation or whatever, one of the four indicators has not altered. The “N.” I am an “intuitive.” Without going into great detail, an MBTI Intuitive not a “woman’s intuition” type of thing. It is something more basic.

As an “N” I follow my gut. It guides my best decisions. Ignoring it, leads to my worst decisions. An “N” does not necessarily make decisions based upon facts. We make it based upon our “gut.” I remember the counselor talking extensively to me about that in 1993 and thinking, “How does he know this about me. He is so right.”

Last week at the Leadership Summit we viewed a dramatization video of a local church with staff and board with dysfunctions. One of the gross characterizations was a senior leader who overplayed the “I follow my gut.” It became, intentionally, very humorous. There are extremes here, as in anything, and that is certainly not what I am talking about.

As I look back over my past years (35+ now) I can see where every time I have ignored my “gut,” I have regretted it. An “N” should not ignore facts; they just are not the primary way we make our decisions. The “gut” should make us take a closer look at the facts. Reexamine them. Run the numbers again. Ask the questions again.

A few months back I was in a very tense ministry setting. The situation had gone south, and had gone south in a hurry. I was totally unaware. As soon as I learned of it, my gut said “Do something . . . NOW!” I did. It totally corrected the situation. However, due to circumstances beyond me, the situation went south again, even further and a lot harder. When I was aware of what was taking place, my gut screamed at me, “Do something Terry . . . NOW.” I did not. I let the “facts” of the situation take over. I calculated all that was around me and talked my gut down. Within hours it had blown totally to pieces and I was caught up in the carnage. It was painful to MANY people, me included. And I was at fault for not listening to my gut.

Some of you reading this are not an “N.” You are a “facts” person. MBTI would call you an “S” or Sensor. “Just the facts m’ am, just the facts.” But, there are times, even with you, when something stinks, and it stinks bad! You read the situation and cannot for the life of you, factually, figure out what is wrong. But there is something screaming at you to ignore that facts and act. Call it a check in your spirit, call it the leadership of the Holy Spirit, call it whatever you will, but you know when it is taking place.

Do not ignore those times. In business they say “If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.” Well, in life and leadership, the same applies. If something does not seem right, it probably is not. If you are and “S” and need facts, get them. Do the work you need to be comfortable with your decision but do not ignore the screaming in your gut telling you to either act, or stop from acting. If you are anything like me at all, and you ignore it, you will indeed regret it.

0 comments: