»

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Axiom #3 - Servants are Equals

I am writing this from my hotel in Washington, DC. I am here for a conference. It is a nice hotel. I am staying at a Marriott. It has a nice gym, good restaurants, great service, and nice amenities. They even gave me a welcome gift bag with chocolates just for being a Rewards Member! I am living large!

Each morning, after my shower, I head down to the day’s meetings. I will on occasion make a stop in the room throughout the day, but for the most part, I am gone all day. When I return my bed is made, the rest room is cleaned, the coffee supply is refreshed, there are two new bottles of water for me, and the place is generally spruced up quite nicely. That does not happen by accident. Someone actually DOES this work. Years ago, I took this for granted. Well, maybe that is too strong of language. I did not take it for granted, but I did not go the extra mile in being grateful.

Sometime in the early 1990’s my wife was reading an article in one of those “women’s magazines” when she looked up and said to me something to this effect, “Now here is an interesting comment. It says we tip the folks who serve us our food but we do not tip the people who clean our hotel rooms and that is wrong.” We chatted a few moments about that, but I changed my behavior that day. I realized the truth of that statement. I tip the person who brings my food, why should I not tip the person who cleans my bathroom and makes my bed?

I travel 4-6 times a year for work. Our family will stay in hotel 3-4 times a year for vacations and trips. We always do the same thing. Each morning before we leave we take a piece of paper and on it we will write, “Tip for Housekeeping.” We then leave some money for the room service person. I do not have to. It is not required. It is not in the contract with the hotel. But we do it. And we gladly do it. If I do not have the correct amount of cash, I will make up for it the next day. I do it on a daily basis and not at the end of my stay, just in case the staff is different.

Do not think they do not notice and know who you are. On more than one occasion, they have stopped me and said, “Thank you very much for the tips.” It actually happened just this morning.

Now, why would I tell you that? If you think it is to brag, please click the small “x” at the top right hand of the screen. You do not get it at all. I do it because, in my mind, the BIGGEST revealer of a person’s character is how they treat those who serve them. If you are rude and inconsiderate to those you deem as beneath you, it tells me how you will treat peers and superiors given the opportunity.

While in college I spent time in the service industry. I waited tables and did other jobs that were service jobs. (In many ways, I still am in the service industry I guess.) I believe that people do food service jobs or are hotel housekeeping personnel for a reason. Life usually forces then into it. I would wager that no one responded to the question, “Now what do you want to be when you grow up?” with, “I want to clean toilets for non family members for minimum wage.” Or, “I want to serve food to griping, demanding and ungrateful people for less than minimum wage, so they can give me a tip.”

I think most people who do these jobs are forced into it. I think most are single mothers, or students, or moms who are trying to make a little extra to keep the family afloat.

While still living in Chattanooga, TN I had many occasion to go to dinner with the members of the Single Adult Ministry I led. One such occasion, we had a woman with us whom I will call Valerie. Valerie’s treatment of our food server was deplorable at best. She was demanding. She was rude. She was inconsiderate. Valerie was every server’s nightmare. My wife told me she had witnessed this before, but it was my first time to see it. It just so happens, I was paying the entire bill for the group. There were about 10 of us. When I signed the slip with my payment I wrote these words on it,

“Please forgive me of the behavior of my rude inconsiderate friend. I am ashamed of her behavior. The way she treated you was just INEXCUSEABLE, and we all intend to talk to her about it. Please know that all Christians are not like this and the Jesus we follow would not approve of this. Please accept my tip as my way of expressing sorrow and making restitution to you.”

I then tipped her about 50% of our bill. I put that part about Christians in because I have had more than one server tell me they hate to have Christians come into their restaurant after church. They are cheap and demanding.” Ouch! I know that is a caricature and a generalization, but it still hurts.

We could talk about folks who shine shoes, who carry your bags, or any number of things, but we all get the point. How do were treat folks who serve us? Maybe it is your mother or father or another family member. How do you treat them? How generous are you with gratitude? How polite are you? How . . . well, you get the point. How you treat people you perceive as beneath you, is a revealer of your character. It tells everyone the kind of the person you are. When I am evaluating the folks I lead, you can bet your last dollar I am taking note when we are out to lunch.

Oh yeah, this week my room has had extra fresh water, extra coffee supplies, and in general I can tell it was given a little extra care. It was not my rationale for doing this, but it sure was nice.

0 comments: