»

Friday, March 29, 2013

The History Channel’s The Bible: My Thoughts, Part 6


This weekend we will see the final segment in the mini-series. As I look forward to this Sunday I have been asked by some to give it a grade. I have said, I do not think that is fair to do for a couple of reasons. First, it is not over yet. But also because that would cause me to focus on some of the things I did not agree with when there were far more things I did agree with.

One of the more pleasant surprises for me has been the way they have woven extra-Biblical history, and Jewish Rabbinical commentary, into the accounts. The beauty of the history is that it supports the accuracy of the Biblical text. It allows us to see how these other nations records weave into, quite often, briefly worded accounts in our Bible. The beauty of the Jewish commentaries and other historians is we get a view that we miss in simply reading the Biblical account. They often reveal the utter sinfulness of the nations of Israel and Judah which led to their judgment. This also forces us to ask questions about God and not simply gloss over things we do not understand. One example would be when we see such violence portrayed on both sides, as it really was in the ancient world. (More will be said on that in the next posting.)

As we look forward to this weekend’s segment, it will cover the crucifixion, resurrection and early church. I have seen several clips ahead of time and already know some responses. It will show the suffering of Jesus more graphic than most of these movies do, without being quite as “on screen vivid” as The Passion of the Christ. This week I would encourage you to watch how Jesus interacts with Peter. Peter denied Jesus, and cannot forgive himself or even as Jesus for forgiveness. Watch Jesus say things like, “Tell our brothers . . . and Peter.” I would like to go into how at some point Peter received a private time with the risen Lord, but I will resist.

I am eager to see the depictions of the early church and how it grows. As I said in an earlier post, “People are actually talking about the Bible!” Many of them have never read it or do not understand it. Perhaps this series will lead some to a beginning of faith, while it leads other to a deepening of their faith. Count me in the latter group.

0 comments: