»

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The History Channel’s The Bible: My Thoughts, Part 3


The second night of the series is now history. (Pun fully intended.) I can almost hear the screaming at the sets across the nation. I would be less than honest if I were to say that I agreed with every interpretive element and the way it was portrayed on the screen, because I was not. Numerous time sensitive elements we out of place, or skipped over but for crying out loud, as I said the first week, they only had ten hours to cover a this material.

However, once again, I intend to look beyond those to what I consider to be the bigger picture. The way I view the “bigger picture” falls into two primary categories.

Folks are actually talking about the Bible! It is “trending” on Twitter. Facebook is screaming with folks comments. I cannot help but think that if folks are talking about The Bible on television, that many of them may actually be reading the Bible . . . perhaps on their free app! If we who believe the Bible, believe it as we say we do, then we believe that God’s word will not return to Him barren or void. We believe it is alive and powerful. We believe that if we just get it out there it can take care of itself. The Bible does not need us to defend it any more than a lion needs us for defense. Just let it out. It can take care of itself. The ensuing dialogue among co-workers, students, neighbors, friend, acquaintances and family members will bring fruit for the kingdom.

The producers got the big themes right. For the sake of cinematography and film making, some items are a bit different than we may like. I get it. But the primary themes have been accurate. Do you hear the characters saying some of them?
   ·         “What the Lord gives, he can take away.”
   ·         “You think God doesn’t see everything?”
   ·         “If we obey the Lord, anything is possible.”
   ·         “You have a God who commands the winds and parts the seas.”
   ·         “A king is never above his God.”

As we move toward the final three Sunday nights, I have great anticipation that the portrayal of Jesus will do just what he said. “If I be lifted up, I will draw all men to myself.” While that “lifting” first occurred on a cross 2,000 year ago, perhaps now we can do a different kind of “lifting up,” and Jesus can draw folks to him. Look around friends. Our nation is in deep need of the love and grace and direction only Jesus can bring.

2 comments:

Terry L. Mann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...

Good stuff, Terry!