»

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The History Channel’s The Bible: My Thoughts, Part 4


Week three of The Bible mini-series will air tomorrow evening. Since I have access to portions ahead of time, I am privy to some of what we will see. I am sure there will once again be the array of critics who will feel the need to point out the “errors” in the presentation. I intend to look beyond that to see what God may be saying to me.

One of the scenes to be depicted involves Daniel and his interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar’s disturbing dream. That is the very passage I will be speaking on in worship tomorrow as I follow along with the series throughout the month of March. It is one of the most marvelous passages in the entire Bible when it comes to God giving His plans to humanity. One of the most interesting parts in this passage carries a great parallel to Joseph in the book of Genesis. In both account, God reveals what is going to take place to a non-believing monarch. In both instances the recipient is very distraught over the incident. In spite of the fact that they have no idea what it meant, they both know it is something of extreme importance.

Tomorrow in my sermon I will not be spending much time tomorrow in the analysis of the interpretation of the dream. Others far superior to me on all levels have undertaken that task. But that is not the primary reason I do not intend to camp out there. It is because the man who interpreted the dreams for the king, Daniel, did not think that was the primary lesson. He thought the primary lessons revolved around the character and attributes of God, in this case God’s wisdom and power. It is pretty clear why Daniel focuses on those attributes of God. He is wise enough to understand all that is in store for humanity and wise enough that humans cannot understand it on their own. But also, God is powerful enough to see that it comes to pass, just as He said it would.

That would be cool if it simply stayed there, but of course that is not how I roll. I am going to push into it with my hearers a bit tomorrow. Do they really believe in those two things? Do they really believe Gods is wise enough to know what is best for them in all circumstances and responses they may have to activities in their life? Do they really believe God is powerful enough to see that things in their life transpire in a way that would be in their best interest, even in cases where they may make a decision that is less than what He would desire? Can God take an act meant for evil or just simply for foolishness and redeem it into something honorable? Does God know what it should be and can God bring it to pass in my life and in your life?

0 comments: