»

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Get Rhythm

What do these songs have in common?

Walk of Life
New Years Day
Here I Go Again
Crazy Train
Glory Days
Eye of the Tiger
Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2
Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around
Go Your Own Way
Back on the Chain Gang

I am in Washington, D.C. for a four day conference relating to our grant. While here I have availed myself of the gym facilities at the hotel. Each of the four days I have gotten on the elliptical machine (I much prefer it to running since it places less stress on the joints) for cardio and did some weight training. I did not realize how much I missed a workout in the gym, and the consistency of an exercise routine. I used to do it religiously, no pun intended. Events have caused me to let it slack. I made a promise to myself that I would indeed correct this, along with my biking on a more regular fashion.

Now, what do those songs have in common, besides the fact that each is considered Classic Rock? Each of them gives you a great beat, a great rhythm to use on an elliptical machine while exercising. The beats are distinct from one another giving you a varied pace and the varied push on your heart that is conducive to a productive and healthy workout.

Our lives are meant for rhythm. God designed us that way. God designed the universe that way. 24 hours in a day. Seven days in every week. 30 or so days in each month. 365 days in a year (with minor corrective exceptions). Day then night then day then night. Rest, wake, work, play, talk, sleep.

Rhythm

What gives rhythm to your life? The business of our life can crowd out healthy rhythms sometimes. It can cause us to lose one or more of the important elements of rhythm in our lives.

So the question is, not only, where do we get the rhythm for our life, but where do we need to correct, or balance the rhythm in our life? I just mentioned one of mine. There are more. Where are yours?

Oh, BTW - the musically astute reader will recognize that Get Rhythm was one of Johnny Cash’s early hits. Hm-m-m, it would do pretty well on the elliptical too.

0 comments: