»

Friday, February 17, 2006

February in Pittsburgh – Part 3: The Daytona 500

I admit it. I am a redneck. For years I have tried to deny it. I have tried to ignore it. I have tried denial, i.e. to pretend it is not true. I have tried everything, including earning a doctoral degree from a seminary in Chicago! If there is a town that would despise being called redneck it would be Chicago. It ranks right up there with New York and LA in that regard.

But once in a great while, I am just quite simply reminded of the fact that I lived the first 40 of my 51 years in the southern United States. We all know that makes me both dumb and dumber. If you still have any doubts please allow me to remove them. I am a NASCAR fan. I have been my entire life.

To give that some context: I love football (pulled for the Steelers in the Super Bowl, but really like the Colts and the Panthers). I love baseball (watch the Pirates at PNC Park but I do love the Braves the best). I play golf (badly). I watch some tennis (although not as much as when Connors and McEnroe dueled). I watch the NBA (well, the playoffs anyway). I have even attended several Hockey games (does that count?) In fact the closest sport I am fanatic about to NASCAR is college basketball. I am (literally) a life long Duke fan, even in the early 70s when they sucked! I am rabid about my Duke basketball.

But I digress.

As I stated earlier, I am also a lifelong NASCAR fan. I attended junior high school with Dale Earnhardt and therefore am a full fledged hard nosed dumb southern red neck. I even own the flag posted at the top. Please remember that when posting comments. Please use short easy to follow words when talking to me and speak slowly in monosyllabic speech if at all possible.

If you have even a passing knowledge about NASCAR you are aware that February is the annual running of the Daytona 500. It has the largest TV audience for a motor sports event in the U.S. Just for the record, I do not care if there is ever an accident. I like the racing, the challenge and the excitement. If you ever get to attend an event you will understand what I mean.

What has this got to do with February in Pittsburgh? Racing means good weather. Good weather means spring. Spring means summer and sunshine! Although we are experiencing out of the ordinary good weather in Pittsburgh this February, I am excited to see cars run around in circles for it reminds me of what is ahead.

Oh yeah. I love to think about what God may have ahead for me in many areas too!

Gentlemen (and ladies). Start your engines!

0 comments: