»

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

February in Pittsburgh – Part 1: Depression Month


It arrived today. We have been looking for it for several months now. I originally began dreading it in October when a chill first creased the air. I am not talking about the end of the football season, but the hardest time in the depression season in Pittsburgh, the month of February.

Pittsburgh is not unlike many cities in that there are cycles as to when folks have a tougher time dealing with issues in their life. In my years of ministry I have begun to see some patterns. The first such time is the fall. This could happen any time from September and school starting to the leaves dropping in October to the first snowfall. But sometime after the end of August it seems that many folks just cannot deal with it any more. It can totally vary as to what “IT” is. In reality “it” is just their particular life issue. What was bearable in August is unbearable in October. What seemed temporary in the sunshine seems permanent as the leaves start to fall. What could be held in one hand in the warmth cannot be contained in the entire universe in the cold.

Now, move that to February and it is increased exponentially. I am told there are more cases of depression diagnosed in February in Pittsburgh than any other month by far. I am told that we have far fewer hours of sunshine in February than any other month, and it is not because it is the shortest month. Add Seasonal Affective Disorder to the life issue equation and things can get out of hand.

I am attempting to address this from a Biblical vantage point this month. I have decided to take the four Sundays in February and talk about depression. Here is my intention. I am going to look at four Biblical personalities who had a time in their life when they were severely depressed and examine how God met them at that moment.

I am calling the series In Dire Need of Encouragement. Here are the four talks and the four individuals with varying circumstances for God to meet them in.

Doubting Vulnerability – John the Baptist
Victorious Vulnerability – Elijah
Life Shattering Vulnerability – Naomi
Impenetrable Vulnerability – Paul

I will have these talks on line each week. I hope to peel away some of the theological junk being taught that if you are in a relationship with God everything is wonderful all the time.

Be very careful, “theological junk” is a highly technical term reserved for seasoned professionals.

0 comments: