»

Friday, February 18, 2005

Rain

This morning I had my February meltdown. It happens every year about this time.

You see, my home has a long driveway, a Pittsburgh driveway. That means it is on a grade. If we get even 1/4 inch of snow, I have to shovel. This morning, at 6:00 a.m. I shoveled. As I neared the finish, I realized that it looked like I had done nothing. I had to do the entire thing over. Then the shovel broke, the lock on the building froze, and I ran out of calcium chloride. I was going to be late for a 7:30 breakfast appointment. I was miffed beyond compare. I was talking to myself, and anyone else that would listen. I was royally pi**ed!! I wanted to know why God had not let me move to a sunny location instead of the “God forsaken ice hole.”

Needless to say, it was not one of my better moments. I was beyond immature!

It is nearing spring. That is good. Shoveling will be over. Unfortunately, that will mean a lot of rain. For me that can be equally bad. My basement needs some rain proofing, which I will be doing in the spring. In the meantime, every heavy rain gives me the heebie jeebies.

Now I understand; rain is very needed in our lives. We don't want too much of it all at once however, or you get floods and jokes about Noah. Nor do we desire too little rain; because then you have droughts and jokes about Elijah.

Rain. Farmers need it. Lawns need it. Flowers need it. The water table that governs our overall water supply needs it. But in excess it causes as many problems as it does when it is in short supply.

You know what that is like with too much don't you? You run to the car trying to keep your hair dry. The inside of the car is getting filthy and muddy; and you cannot clean it, because it is still raining! Ball games are postponed. People get crabby when they are cooped up inside for a long time. There is this overall muggy feeling that permeates the inside of your house. It is simply unpleasant.

In the office where I worked previously, our radio was tuned to an easy listening station which played a wide range of music throughout the day. There is one song in particular that was played quite frequently that always caught my attention. It was sung by Barry Manilow. The chorus goes like this:

I made it through the rain,
and kept myself protected.
I made it through the rain,
and kept my point of view.
I made it through the rain,
and got myself respected,
By the others who, got rained on too,
and made it through.

Rain is an interesting analogy in that song. It draws a very clear picture in our mind. Poets and lyricist frequently use rain as a symbol of trouble and distress in our lives. People everywhere search for word pictures to describe the seasons of their lives --- especially troubled times. And troubled times seem to come all too often, don't they?

Go back and read the lyrics of the song again. That same picture came to mind didn't it? That most unpleasant time in your life when the pain was indescribable. The hours, days, weeks, and months of pain stretched before you. Would “unbearable” be too strong of a word? For some reading this, it probably would not be.

We all have a time when we knew nothing but pain. The only thing we remember doing is hurting. We often call those times in our lives “storms.”

Mark 6:45-53 tells of one such storm in the lives of twelve men. Stop for a moment and slowly read those verses.

45 Immediately Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. 46 After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray.
47 When evening came, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land. 48 He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, 49 but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, 50 because they all saw him and were terrified.
Immediately he spoke to them and said, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 51 Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed, 52 for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.
53 When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret and anchored there.

This was a storm of a very different nature than most of ours. This was a storm of a violent physical nature. Now don't get super spiritual on me and start making theological implications about this passage. True, some are there, but these men were real men with real fears. Some of their fears are the same as ours. Consequently some very real comparisons ring true. Some very practical lessons about storms in our lives.

These men were in this storm obeying the instructions of their Lord. He made them to get in the boat and cast off. After a time of prayer, verse 48 tell us that “He saw the disciples straining at the oars.” As you read the verse further it gives the impression that some more time passed until three AM when He finally walks to them. This means that He watched for a period of time while they struggled.

Another interesting point to ponder: this was not the first time for these men to be in this lake caught up in a storm. At least four of them were fishermen. They had seen many storms of the Sea of Galilee, but not this type. Once before this had happened to these same men with Jesus asleep in the boat, (Mark 4) the difference this time was that Jesus was not in the boat.

Their response reveals they had missed at least two lessons. One was from the boat trip previously mentioned. The second came from the miracle immediately preceding this experience. Jesus had just multiplied the loaves and fish (verse 52). They missed it. They missed it so badly, that when Jesus did come to them, they didn't recognize Him! I am not quick with words to criticize these men. I see myself all too clearly in their failures, so do many of you.

Are you struggling? He is watching. Are you straining at the oars? Keep it up until He arrives. Are you doubting your ability to trust when it is difficult? He understands. It has happened to others before you. He doesn't condemn you for it. He encourages you onward. Are you fearful of things that walk toward you in the night? It may be the One that calms storms.

Everyone of us knows someone who DID NOT “make it through the rain.” We so feel for them. Our heart goes out to them, but no matter how much we care for them, they still fell. They still were hurt. We know others who DID make it through. We are challenged and encouraged. If they can make it, so can I.

It is raining now in some of your lives. Jesus wants you to make it through. I want you to make it through. You are trying to make it through. Keep plodding. There is “the other side of the lake.” There is a Christ that can still the storm and stop the rain. There is One watching you “strain at the oars.” Where is He you may ask? Maybe it isn't three AM yet. He will come to your rescue, in His time and in His fashion. Keep rowing. You will gain the highest respect from the “others who, got rained on too, and made it through.”

0 comments: