»

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Old Things

I heard it as soon as I hit the first key. Someone said: “Finally, we are going to hear about how much better the old things are than new things.”

I've heard it. So have you. “They just don't make them like they used to.” It is said in reference to cars, clothes, and almost anything you can name. And it's true. They DON'T make “them” like they used to.

Maybe I'm kind of weird, but I am sort of a fence straddler on this issue. There are some older things that I like. How about an example? Okay. '67 Malibu. I really like that car. I think it is one of the nicest cars ever built. And NO, I am not a “Chevy man.” I also like a '68 Mustang. I am by no means an “old car buff,” but these are old things that I really like.

But I don't like ALL old things. I don't want things to go back to the way they were. As I sit here at my computer I am not desirous of my old manual typewriter. I like the usefulness of a computer and don't want to go back to doing without it. I'm glad cars don't have tail fins. I'm thankful for CD's and new music. I don't want to return to the days of black and white television and mono record albums.

Okay, so we do like some of the old? Does it serve a purpose? It sure does. Especially, the “old things” in Scripture. It is stated very clearly in Romans 15:4: “For everything that was written in the past, was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."

What about the old things in your life? It is February. Just last month we marked the passing of another year. 2004 has now become an “old thing.” What does that mean to you as you look back? I know what it means to me: It means that everything that happened cannot be changed. It is set in stone, so to speak. Did you speak harshly to someone during 2004? It can never be changed. Oh, you can apologize, but the damage is done; and the resulting harm along with it.

The same is true of the good things that you may have done. Words of kindness, deeds that showed you cared, harsh comments kept to yourself: they are unalterable as well. That pill is a little bit easier to swallow, but it is disconcerting to realize how few of those we have isn't it?

Look at what has happened to you in the past. Are you learning from it? Are you allowing it to encourage you? Why not? It is supposed to. Look at where you are, where you MIGHT have been and then compare it to Scriptural teachings, like “everything being for our good,” and let it encourage you. After all there are only two options. Either God is in control or He isn't. You cannot straddle the fence on this one.

You have a choice to make. You can look at 2004 as a complete success, which few of us will; or you can see it as a failure, and some of us might. More than likely you will be somewhere in between those two extremes. So what are you going to let happen with what has transpired? Are you going to let it encourage you or DIS-encourage you? The decision is yours. You cannot pass this one off, and neither can I.

Some things transpired in my life in 2004 that hurt more than I could ever put into words. Conversely, some things happened that brought more unadulterated joy than I could express. I can let the past build me or destroy me, but I cannot change it.

What about you? Which will you do? 2005 offered a fresh new start in many ways, but only you can decide which route you will traverse this year. Don't become bitter and cynical. No one likes to be around a constant critic or cynic. Make the most of your past. Learn from it. Allow 2004 to be an old thing that can teach you. It can encourage you to endure.

0 comments: