»

Friday, September 12, 2008

Faith Based Funding

I have served in ministry in one setting or another, one style or another for over 30 years. It is in my blood. I cannot walk away from it, try as I might. It influences every decision I make, right or wrong, up or down, cooperate with my conscience and the Spirit or violate that cooperation. (And I have done both quite well thank you very much!) It is a factor in most of my conversations on some level.

At present I serve in a Faith Based organization (TWOgether Pittsburgh) that is receiving Federal Funding on the oft-named, usually misrepresented, always misquoted, “Faith Based Initiatives” on Healthy Relationships and Marriage from Washington, DC. It is so closely aligned to President Bush that it is often criticized by opponents for that reason alone. (I intend to write on GWB and my views later. I think he has been unjustly vilified, and blamed for some things not of his doing. I have not agreed with him on many items. I think he has made some serious blunders, but shoot SO HAVE I!!! I think history will be much kinder to him as a president that the present is. But, I digress . . .)

The media has taken to calling these funding options “Faith Based Initiatives” I think to make them seem “religious right,” or “less than high quality,” or just to get at the President. In reality, the support is fairly bi-partisan on Capitol Hill and from the White House. When we gather in DC we hear from speakers of both parties.

“Faith Based Initiatives” or Faith Based Federal funding is really nothing new. They are being listed as such, but that is not true. Catholic Charities, Jewish Community Centers, etc. have received Federal dollars to provide social services since the 1960s. The new piece is that Conservative Christian groups are involved in receiving funding now. But, this is nothing new.

Our programs do not talk about faith. They are Marriage and Relationship Education skills training classes. We use nationally recognized best practices. We are closely scrutinized by the Federal Government and other independent sources, some of whom agree, some who violently disagree with us. We are fully and independently evaluated. We undergo a Federally Mandated Single Audit process annually. We have to raise 10% of our funding, one dollar to match every ten funded by the government. We complete regular detailed reports of our activities. We operate with integrity in not using tax payer dollars to promote faith. There is no worship, no Bible study, no praying, no coercion into Christianity in these programs. We meet folks wherever they are. We are a demonstration grant to see “What works.” We seek to address relational concerns, not cram the Bible down someone’s throat. (And I will take a back seat to no one on how seriously I take the Bible. But let’s be honest, people to not divorce over theology!)

This is important stuff . . . really. In the last five years, the war in Iraq has cost the US taxpayer $500 Billion dollars. With a “B.” Forget how you feel about it; that is the cost of the war. Over that same time period the monetary cost to taxpayers due to the breakup of the family has been $560 Billion.

Yes, you read that correctly. $560 Billion. $112 Billion dollars a year. $60 Billion per year MORE than the War in Iraq. But it does not get the same amount press.

Here are the facts. The report quantifies for the first time the astounding cost to governments from family fragmentation. Work of this sort not only makes sociological sense to our culture, it just makes good financial sense to our nation.

All this being said, I listen and read intently when each candidate talks about their view on this funding. I did it during Rick Warren’s interview. I do when they are on CNN, or Fox, or MSNBC or wherever. I have a personal interest. It is my job, but I am not getting rich off the government, believe me! My salary is a matter of public record, and I would venture to guess most of you out earn me.

It troubles me to hear or read one candidate saying, “programs that have been less than effective.” Who is feeding him this? Where is he getting this information, or misinformation? We are being very effective and documenting it as we progress. I have mixed feelings when both candidates say increase spending in this arena. It could make the work harder and come under even more scrutiny. Well, that is hard to imagine actually we are scrutinized so closely as it is, but anything is possible.

As I have said and will say, this is an important election and maybe more than any other in recent years, we need to really see what each is saying, and how they act in accordance with that.

0 comments: