»

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Out of Africa: Part 9 – Exiting with Sadness

On my recent trip to Africa, I disciplined myself to keep a daily journal of what transpired and how I felt about it. These entries are from that journal.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Experience #1 – Farewells

After breakfast this morning we packed to leave. After packing, we all gathered in the “lounge” area where we held devotions. We have had this each morning. It is pretty incredible listening to the African men sing. I do not think I have mentioned before, but we sing almost exclusively American hymns along with some African chorus. The hymns are mostly songs I recall from my teenage years in the Baptist church. I must be honest, there is something pretty powerful in the singing in a room with all men, from various cultures, who love Jesus and just pour out their heart to God.

This morning I was the one who gave the devotional thought. The other two pastors had shared the previous two days. The entire staff of this project area joined us for devotions this morning. I shared from Genesis 41 where Joseph named his two children Ephraim and Manasseh. This is one of my favorite passages to speak on. I know some of you have heard this talk before. Manasseh means “to forget.” Joseph named him that because God had enabled him to forget all the trouble he had been through and forgive the perpetrators. If anyone in history had a reason to hold a grudge, it was him, and he did not. One thought I shared was “there comes a time in everyone’s life when they have to realize, that they cannot change their past.”

The other son he named Ephraim. Ephraim means “to be blessed.” Joseph said God had blessed him in the land of his suffering. The idea is that Joseph saw God’s blessing in the land of suffering rather than always seeking to be delivered from his suffering. Enough said.

Following devotions the staff presented each of us with African gift that is supposed to have been tied to our character as they observed it over these days. These are gifts that I will cherish for the remainder of my life. Ask me how I am a twofold Masai Warrior Chief!

0 comments: