»

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Out of Africa: Part 8 (Continued - A) – Final Full Day

On my recent trip to Africa, I disciplined myself to keep a daily journal of what transpired and how I felt about it. These entries are from that journal.

Monday, October 24, 2005
Experience #2 – Visiting My Sponsored Child

After M & M football we traveled back to the school where we had the incredible reception and program on our second day in the field. I had no idea that the child I sponsored attended that very school and that we had driven by his home days earlier.

The boys name is Loongishu. It means son of the cow. As I talked to him through an interpreter, I learned that he desires to be a teacher. In this area that is an absolutely huge need. I had brought him a couple of small gifts. One was a Pittsburgh Project ball cap that my oldest daughter had given me. It was a cool way of connecting him with me and my children. I also gave him a photo of me along with my Grandson Gavin.

He sat up front with me in the vehicle as we drove to his home to meet his father and his mother. His house was a pretty incredible site. There were Bible verses written on the walls inside and outside of his home. We were invited inside for a “soda,” and just as before we were given Coca Cola and Fanta Orange.

As we sat talking we learned that Loongishu’s Dad has two wives, both of whom are Christians and have been for several years. His father was not a Christian. With all the verses around, Gary could not resist (I am sure prompted by the Holy Spirit) beginning to ask his father if he has ever thought of becoming a Christian. When he said yes, I had the privilege of praying with him as he accepted Christ. Now, do not get me wrong. I deserve zero credit here. It turns out that both of his wives had been praying for him for five years to become a Christian. They not only prayed for him but lived a life in front of him to cause him to desire to accept Christ when presented with the opportunity.

I once heard a man talk about how when a man in these cultures becomes a Christian he should divorce one of the wives, preferably all but the first, so he only has one wife. I thought to myself, “My, what an idiot. Have you any idea of what that would do to those women? It would just throw them out to fend for themselves along with their children in a culture where they have no ability to earn a living and care for anyone.” Before you go off on me, I am not promoting polygamy. I believe God’s intention was one man and one woman, and each man should have one wife in any culture. But in cases where there are already family units intact and disrupting what is already in place would put women and children at risk, there is no reason to force a change upon them.

This had been a very eventful day although on a much different plane than our previous days. After some time taking photos, we left with promises of future communication and a continuing relationship that goes beyond financial support, although that is definitely included.

0 comments: