»

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Missional in the Suburbs: Part 3 - Soccer Balls and Starbucks

In many (not all) missional discussions, the suburbs catch a lot of grief. I am convinced most of it is unintended, for I do not know of a single person doing missional ministry that would imply that it is an urban issue. The same is true for it being a suburban issue or a rural issue or a racial / ethnic issue. Missional ministry is a kingdom issue. It crosses ALL boundaries.

That being said, my thoughts on the subject are still swirling around at the present. I have read the blogs of some others that are positively contributing to the mental flow. As I continue down this journey of what exactly it is to be missional in a suburban context, I did not want things to sit stale over the weekend, even if it is an incredibly busy one. So, I thought I would take a bit of time to talk in non-theological language about a couple of examples of being missional in the context that are purely pragmatic.

Frost and Hirsch, and others, take considerable pain to discuss the importance of the “third place” in the missional construct. Although hanging out at bars is a lot of fun, where I am placed it would be less that productive. There are options there, but as my Dad used to say, “I don’t understand everything I know about that.” But, here are a couple of things I have come to know.

A major “third place” in our setting is youth sport’s leagues. They are absolutely huge. I am astounded how many dads think their son is the next major league superstar. Oddly, they all criticize other Dads who feel the same way. (Smile here.) Earlier this year I began to feel that a major missional door was open to me in the sports leagues. Why should I not offer to coach a team? I have no children of that age, but it would still allow me to give back to the community without asking for anything. Therefore I became the coach of a girl’s under ten soccer team. (Read about it here in the March 9 entry.) It was an absolute blast! I got to know the girls, and through their daughters I was able to interact with parents. We did not have evangelistic prayer meetings after practice. In fact we never even prayed after practice. (Horrors! A pastor who refused an opportunity to pray in public!)

One of “my girls” was injured at home one day. When her mom informed me of the injury, I told her that I would pray for her. I later found out that that simple statement was HUGE for that girl. They knew I was a pastor, although I never did flaunt it, so she asked her mother if she thought I really would pray for her. Her mom said, “yes,” and well . . . I did. In so doing a relational connection was built. I may or may not ever see the fruit of that, but I am convinced it will bear fruit. After all, I am not the only instrument God has at work in this equation.

A second location where I am seeing good movement in missional suburbia is at the local Starbucks. I am there often to work or meet folks so I am becoming known, not only to workers but also to customers. What am I doing? I am seeking to be in a third place to give relational mission an opportunity to take place.

Before I conclude this series of blogs I will share at least several other practical examples of where we are learning as a community of faith what it means to be missional. Part of that will be our leadership vision, our new worship location, and other community involvement opportunities we are exploring. This road may not be a newly paved one, but it is fun to travel. It is likewise cool to look around and see cohorts!

0 comments: