»

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Power in My Veins

This past week I was infused with power . . . . literally.

Here is the scoop. I have gene trouble. I did not say "jean" trouble. This is not that my Wranglers need to be exchanged for Levis. It is that genetic thing. We are told that you cannot choose your parents, or your ancestors so do not be too proud or too saddened by their accomplishments. You had nothing to do with it either way.

My heredity is a mixed bag. There are practically no instances of cancer in my direct family line, but issues of heart disease abound! My mom died at the age of 41 of heart disease. My Dad had a stroke at 48 and died of heart disease at 67. One uncle had a bypass in his 40s. Both of my grandfathers died at the age of 54 of heart disease. I am not obese, but I could drop ten pounds. Well, you get the picture.

This is not an issue I take lightly. I am aware of my diet, exercise, medication, etc.

That being said, now that I have crossed the mid-century age, my primary care doctor recommended that I have a stress test, as well as a few other not so pleasant procedures . . . just to be safe.

Last Friday I had the stress test completed which consisted of having radioactive material injected in my veins twice, walking on a treadmill till I hurt, having two separate x-rays that lasted twelve minutes each in the weirdest positions imaginable. Not my idea of a morning off!

During the second radioactive injection while walking on a treadmill with a cardiologist present, there was a “spill.”

A radioactive "spill" when you are present is like hearing your surgeon say "Oops!" during surgery. This is not a good thing. After getting off the treadmill the area was “scanned,” including my clothing. There was concern that my slacks or shoes were contaminated. The nurse, who was very efficient by the way, told me if my shoes or slacks were contaminated I would have to leave them. I said I did not routinely carry around spare pants!

I then got them to laugh when I said, “If that stuff is so unsafe and unstable on my clothing and shoes, why is it safe in my veins?” They looked at me and laughed as they replied, “Remember we told you to drink lot of fluids today and tomorrow . . . and beer counts!”

I got to work and asked everyone if I “glowed.” There was power in my veins! It was like Jim Carrey in Bruce Almighty “I’ve got the power!”

Guess what? There really is power in me. It is the power of the Spirit of God that indwells every believer in Jesus Christ to empower them for service. Are you a follower of Jesus? You’ve got the power! Do you avail yourself of it?

0 comments: