»

Saturday, March 31, 2018

My Journey With Cancer - Part 14

March 31, 2018 – Wear the Good Watch


Some years back I had the following story in my illustration file for sermons. It never actually made it into a message, but the story has impacted me on some level for many years.

As the story goes a son is preparing for the funeral of his mother. He is selecting the dress, jewelry and other items that will adorn her body as she lies in the coffin for family and friends to come to the final viewing. He selects the dress, the scarf, the necklace, and other items that will be the final clothes his mother will ever wear.

In the process of selecting the clothes, the son comes across a beautiful silk slip made with ornate handiwork and elaborate lace. His mother never wore it. It seems she felt it was so special she was waiting for the right event to wear it. As the son holds the slip, and lets his fingers trace the outlines of the lace he says aloud, “I guess this is a finally special enough event to wear this slip.”

The point hits me home every time I recount the story.

Now go with me to the Christmas season of 2011. At that time I have been living with the dream of leading an organization that grew to what we had all anticipated it could. The senior staff, all of which I was privileged to hire, train and work with were an incredible group of men and women. We were equally divided among gender and races. It was a beauty to be a part of. We had a representation of at least 50-60 other equally diverse staff among our area. But these individuals were very special to me.

I have never been one to have strong negative feelings about surprise gifts, surprise parties, and the like. I guess I always felt that if someone wanted to surprise me, why should I get in the way of their fun?

Our parent organization at that time held the usual Christmas luncheon, of which my staff was a part. As we neared the end of this lunch, one of my staff, said to me, “Why don’t all of us on your staff go somewhere and have something to drink and hang out together?” I was totally game, because I truly loved these men and women.

They suggested a location, or so I thought, and we all loaded up in our respective vehicles to drive to the agreed upon location. I was sitting at a high top bar stool around a table, when out of nowhere, Gavin (who was only 7-8 at the time) was tugging on my pant leg. I recall saying, “Hey buddy! What are you doing here?” I then saw Kay there and was even more surprised. Why? What? How?

After we ordered a drink, the members of my senior staff pulled out a gift to present to me and one to Kay. We were taken completely aback. They were matching Tissot timepieces. These were not watches. They were of a quality and price that I have never purchased for myself, and probably never would have. It still ranks as one of the top gifts I have ever been given, mostly because of what it meant.

Over the years since I received the timepiece, I have worn it only at what I would call dress up occasions. This would include, worship, banquets, and other important events. It was never my daily watch. I had one that was more plain and simple that I wore throughout the work week.

Now to today, as I recovered from my surgery and began my chemotherapy, began to go more regularly about my normal duties of the work week. Somewhere along that early time frame, I was getting dressed and reached to put on my normal weekly watch, but saw this incredible timepiece. I recall at that moment remembering the story I recounted above. As I thought about what lay ahead for me I said aloud to myself, alone in my bedroom, “Wear the good watch.”

From that day to this, if you see me during the week, on Sunday and anywhere that I would not fear the timepiece being damage due to my activity, I am wearing it.

I decided what am I waiting for? Celebrate every day! Every day is a special gift from God. Every day is deserving of the good timepiece.

Where is it in your life that you need to celebrate the gift that every single day is? Wear the good watch.

Two days ago my wife and I celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary. Wear the good watch.

Today on Holy Saturday, we prepare to celebrate resurrection on the morrow. Wear the good watch.

Wear the good watch!

0 comments: