»

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Axiom #8: Performance

Let me introduce this by referencing a story in Axiom #7. In that post I quoted the general manager of the company I worked for when he said, “Terry, one of the things I like the best about working with you, is that once I ask you to do something, or assign you a task, I can totally forget about it. It will get done. I will not hear from you unless, you either need my assistance in some way or the task is complete. Terry, you make me look good.”

That encapsulates exactly how I handle a lot of my management, which is quite distinct from my leadership I might add. Leadership involves vision, direction, support, guidance, assistance, and any number of other things. Management involves more of the day to day operations necessary to keep things moving in the direction of the vision.

With my present staff, and every person I have supervised over the years, I have tried to tell them the same thing in my expectations of them. If I have expectation of you, I will be sure you know it. But then I expect YOU to do it. If you need my assistance, my advice, my suggestions, my support, my ability to run interference for you, or any number of other things I can do for you to make you more effective, I will give it to you. I make that commitment to you. But I do not want to do your job. I want you to do it. I may check in, and ask how it is going privately and in staff meetings, and offer mine or others assistance if needed. But if I have to do your job, why are you here?

I have had to follow up with men and women with a variety of methods. If you are not able to do your job, let’s address it. Maybe your need skills training. Maybe some coaching will help. Maybe your time management skills are lacking. Maybe your prioritization skills need honing. Do you believe in our direction and mission? If not, can you come to agree with it? Whatever the issue is, let’s address it.

If after attempting to address them, it does not get better, then maybe this is not working out. Maybe we are not a good fit. Maybe for the good of everyone involved, we need to make a personnel change. Those decisions are always painful, never easy, but are sometimes required. If you are not willing to make this call, after much work, assistance, and prayer, do not sit in the leader’s chair. It comes with the territory and there is no way anyone can prepare you for just how gut wrenching those times are going to be. If you have an ounce of compassion at all, you will probably lose some sleep and see your appetite drop. No matter how you slice it, it is no fun. If you can make this sort of life impacting decision without great concern for the individual affected, I wonder if you are really the leader you should be. It is far more than being a task master.

I think it goes one step further. Maybe we are hurting the employee. If this is not a good fit, if he or she cannot do what this job requires, are we really doing them any favors by keeping them on board? Sure, it is hurting the organization and affecting the productivity of the team, but what is it doing for him or her? They are no doubt unhappy and unfulfilled. Maybe for their sake they need to be in a location that is better suited to their skills. How can they grow as a human being in a situation that is not suited for them?

When I speak of my present staff, I have often said, the key to my success is I have hired good people and then gotten out of their way. But that leads to one final word. You cannot be “dumping” work on another person no matter how good they are. There is a great chasm between “dumping” and “delegating.” This is something many leaders have yet to learn. Do not give something to another person just because you do not want to do it. That is never an appropriate reason. You may give it to them because they can do it better than you, or they enjoy it, or you see it as a growth opportunity for them thereby making it a leadership decision, but do not simply dump on them. No human deserves that.

As with the “No Surprises,” I realize there are all many variations and shades of gray in this axiom. There are times when you have to “sit on” an employee. But those should be the exceptions. Give them the freedom to perform, and then expect performance. If you have the right people in place, they will do just that.

0 comments: