»

Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Couple of Post Election Thoughts

Now that some of the dust has settled and the pundits have all had their say, or have at least started their say. I have a three questions that have nagged me for years regarding both sides. No comments are necessary. Everyone knows the answers. I am an equal opportunity offender here.

Why is it that when the Republicans want to characterize someone is a negative light, they paint them "weak or un-American?" I first noticed this with George McGovern in 1972, the first election I voted in, and I will say that I did not vote for McGovern and to this day think I made the right decision, but he was painted and anything but a patriot. It was the case for Jimmy Carter, many 1980 elections, local and national and continues on today. As you know, it was a mainstay in this past presidential election.

Why is it that when the Democrats want to characterize someone is a negative light, they paint them as stupid or dumb? This has been a mainstay since Gerald Ford. It was used for Ronald Regan (who was dumb like a fox!!!), hit full stride with Dan Quayle and George Bush (dad and son) and was one of the primary attacks at Sarah Palin? It is still used in reference to Richard Nixon, whom I think may have been the most intelligent person to ever sit in the White House. He certainly lacked some common sense when dealing with the Watergate mess, but he was far more intelligent than almost everyone who paints him as stupid to this day.

Why does anyone really care what the actors in Hollywood think when it comes to an election? Other than the fact that they bring a lot of money to the table, they are no more informed than anyone else and show it with their character assassinations. Yet they get far more than their share of air time. They are entertainers, nothing more and nothing less. They are a diversion from reality, or at least a selected view of reality, not reality itself. I love all forms of theater. I have acted, directed, and written so I fully understand the value. But if we are after the views of entertainers, why are we not asking athletes (from football players to ice skaters to race car drivers) at great length for their views?

0 comments: