»

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Traveling With a Four Year Old


Those who know me know that this past fall has been tumultuous to say the least. One item that occurred was a severe stroke suffered by my younger brother. (All my brothers are younger so maybe I should skip that line.) On one of three trips to Kannapolis, NC (near Charlotte) to visit my family since September, I traveled with my grandson Gavin. Gavin is four years old. He has been adopted by my wife and me, so legally he is my son and we treat him that way, although he calls me Granddad . . . etc. Anyway, the boy simply adores me, as I do him. (A side note, I adore all four of my grandchildren, I just see him on a daily basis in a much more intimate role.)

Back to the story, he and I were staying two nights in a motel near my family. This caused him to be up a bit later than customary for him. The first night, he was so pumped up that he was jumping on the hotel bed saying, “I am so excited!” We finally settled down sometime after ten o’clock. But alas, there was someone in another room who never settled down. This other unknown person, across the hallway, was talking, slamming the door (or is seemed like slamming) as they went in and out, in and out, in and out. This was in addition to their loud TV and other noisy late night behavior. I cannot recall ever being in a hotel where I thought of calling to complain, but I did this time. I didn’t, but I thought about it.

The second night, Gavin was a bit less exuberant, to say the least. He was ready to sleep and soon. So at 8:00 I had him in bed, and he looked at me and said, “No bumping tonight, please.” He then fell asleep almost immediately.

As I looked at this precious little boy sound asleep I thought about a comment I had a friend make to me a few years back, “There is nothing as sweet as a child sleeping.” I also thought about a Christian song in the 80s entitled “Where There is Faith.” A line in the song says, “A peace like a child sleeping.” Is anything else that true? There is nothing as peaceful as a child sleeping.

Here is the point of the song; the point of God’s challenge to me that evening, and the point of what I am writing. What issue in your life has you troubled? What issue has you where you need the “peace like a child sleeping?” Can I trust God when all seems bad? Can I trust Him with the peace of a child sleeping?

0 comments: