»

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Out of Africa: Part 12 (Continued) – Flexibility, Change and Not Hurrying are African Mantras

On my recent trip to Africa, I disciplined myself to keep a daily journal of what transpired and how I felt about it. These entries are from that journal

Friday, October 28, 2005 – I think!!!

Many hours have passed since the last sentence. I am now in the Amsterdam Airport completely exhausted. I have not slept well this entire trip and my body sort of thinks it is 6:30 am and sort of has no idea what time it is. Couple that with the fact that I hardly got any sleep on the flight from Nairobi. If you have legs, coach seats are small and tight to begin with, and the woman in front of me was an absolute . . . well and absolute something. When we cleared 10,000 ft. she was the first one to lean her seat back and did not put it upright until told to by the flight attendant. This does not sound like a big deal, but tell that to my knees that were continually rammed with the seat back. Add that to the fact that she was up and down, the entire time. Each time she rose, her seat would whack my knees full force hurting like crazy! She was consistently turning around and looking backward; her feet kept getting under the seat and kicking my feet. Add to that – about 3 hours into the flight, the lights came on full and an announcement was made that they were in need of a medical doctor. Okay, that is enough whining from an overly tired, road weary traveler. It will be good to arrive home. I will have a very short turn around for preaching on Sunday. Good thing the message is mostly done! Does it show I am getting a little punch drunk?

Over the upcoming months I am sure I will have much to say as I process this trip. It will be nothing like what I have been writing. In the future it will have to do with Fountain Park and strategic thinking. Right now I am having a tough time just doing simple thinking, so strategy can wait until I get in my bed and sleep!

0 comments: