»

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Missional in the Suburbs: Part 2 - Preview of Coming Attractions



A few weeks ago I spent several days with six friends of mine. During the days surrounding this trip I saw three movies. I was able to see Batman Begins, Star Wars and War of the Worlds. (I rate Batman the best of the three, but that is neither here nor there.) I am not sure why, but I am always amazed at how many previews there are in the theaters. A preview has as its sole purpose to get you to come see the upcoming movie.

It dawned on me that most churches today operate with that same procedure. We are guilty of sharing our “coming attractions” as a way of hoping others will join us for our “upcoming movie.” We even have a marketing strategy for our churches. Now do not misunderstand me, I am not saying that is ALL bad. My church does “marketing.” We do it primarily to encourage and support our folks in living their lives in the community. But I must admit, every time we talk about inviting someone to worship, my mind does a double take as to whether or not that is where our focus should be. I think the answer in a suburban context may be “yes, but not exclusively.” (More on that in the days to come.)

Fountain Park (the faith community I serve) is in the process in the upcoming days of completing the negotiations that will give us a new location for our weekend worship. A major part of this process includes the look of the facility in the community we find ourselves. This has caused my mind to go several directions. Most of the questions are related to the concept of being missional in the suburbs. Can you even do missional ministry in the suburbs without a facility? (I am beginning to think the answer to that may be negative, but more on that in future days as well.)

Most of the reading you do on the missional church has a distinctively urban flavor. But that is not the only place where missional should come into play is it? I asked two of the most respected authors today what their view of being missional in the suburbs would look like and I was surprised to see them hesitate in their answer. The answer that finally came was a spin off of being missional in an urban enviroment. Is this an issue that no one else has been asking? Do some of the best minds in the world not think it is possible to be missional in a suburban setting? Is this not an issue that we should be asking? (I know I intend to keep asking it.)

I am in no way wanting these upcoming blogs to be a defense of urban flight, or a defense of living in the protected environment of the suburbs, although that in and of itself may not be inherently right or wrong. I am simply saying it is a suburban setting where Fountain Park Church finds itself. If we believe the missional church is Biblical, apostolic and God honoring, and we do, we need to ask ourselves how we go about this in a suburban context that is distinct from and/or similar to an urban environment.

No answers yet. I am still asking the questions. But the answers must be forthcoming. They simply must.

0 comments: